Tuesday, May 08, 2012

New way of thinking

There comes a point in most people's lives when they realise a change is needed, it might be a change in living circumstances, a change in career, a change in diet or a change in the way of thinking.


I find myself, at the grand old age of 33 years young at a point in my life where I need to change my way of thinking. This kind of change is not easy - 33 years of influence and life experience has brought me to where I am now and to my way of thinking. And where I am now brings me to the point of wanting to change.


I've suddenly become very aware of my need to be liked, approved of, and that in turn was making me ill. Have you tried to be a person that "everyone" liked and approved of? Such a person does not exist - everyone is different and sees things in others that other people do not, we are all brought up with different values, morals and outlook. How can one person cover all that in every person? You cannot.


Henceforth, I was an extreme "yes" person, aiming to please everyone but myself. And I became mentally exhausted, anxious and poorly.


I've become very self aware these last few weeks. Aware of my needs, mentally and physically. And this is where the change begins. Do you find yourself recognising yourself in my description above? Maybe you owe it to yourself to start being gentle on your being, to realise that you will not be everyone's cup of tea and by distancing yourself from people who make you anxious, unhappy and under confident you will be doing yourself a favour. You should not need to physically try and get on with someone. It's supposed to come naturally. If it doesn't. Don't judge and blame yourself.


Surround yourself with people you love, admire and respect, people who inspire you and love you whatever you do, are seen to be wearing, however you think.


Stop being a "yes" person, think about yourself. Do you really want to do this? Does it make you happy?


This weekend I took myself off to a local fayre, on my own, and wandered around, no rushing and thinking about others. I sat and watched the world go by, and then drove home feeling ridiculously content with the car windows down, singing to the radio with a smile in my heart.


When was the last time you did something purely for you?


Think about it xxxxx

No comments: